Friday 5 July 2013

The little old lady who mends the King's clothes




As promised! What a lost art mending is: to get a letter from the King expressing his amazement at hardly being able to even see her patching up. I'm in awe. But then to be honest, I'm in awe of most spirited little old ladies. I hope I get to be at least half as wrinkled with character as this one, and still sewing all day aged 88.

(I'm afraid I could only find it in Dutch - the English-subtitled reports don't go online individually. But you get the picture, no? :-)

4 comments:

  1. That is so awesome. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great isn't it - I was so happy to catch it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting this- I could just about understand the French part, when she was reading the letter. She reminded me so much of my French grandmother's dressmaker, who had a very "country" accent!

    I also think it's great that the King should have his clothes mended. A good example of making do and thrift.

    Hooray for feisty old ladies! I hope I get to be one one day.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be anonymous or unpleasant!