Sunday 22 September 2013

For the packed lunch-makers

Every school night, at around 10.30 pm, I have the same conversation with myself. As I start considering going to bed, I'll think: maybe it would be good to get the kids' lunches prepped already. And I'll keep that thought there for another half an hour or so, until it really is bedtime, and then I think: no - I'll just get up 10 minutes earlier and do it tomorrow.
 
The next morning, I wake up at the same time as usual and - of course - slap the sandwiches together and into the kids' bags, just as they run out of the door for the bus. Never a minute earlier. Because, as those of you who do it every day will know, making packed lunches - your own or your kids' - quickly becomes one of the most tedious routine domestic tasks EVER.
 
 
 
 
Believing that I can sew some motivation into anything, I recently decided it was time for an upgrade in our lunch-packing infrastructure. Re-usable sandwich wraps have long been one of my most useful sews, but previous versions were looking worn out and I'd been getting frustrated with their design flaws.  So, I sewed some more, new and improved: slightly bigger, with rounded corners and loooong velcro strips for wrapping flexibility.
 
Then, I made them do a little dance:
 



My sandwich wraps and I would like to dedicate this performance to any and all long-suffering packed lunch-makers out there.
 
 

 
As we say around these parts: smakelijk! Bon appetit, enjoy :-)

(If you'd like to make your own, this tutorial is pretty straightforward. As mentioned above, I find a slightly larger size, round corners and long velcro gives the best wrapping experience. I'm not so fussy about plastics so mine are wipe-clean on the inside).

7 comments:

  1. I'm happy to say that since my daughter turned 13 this year, we've delegated this task to her. Of course I still find myself at 10:30 thinking I should pack my own lunch and figure out what I'm going to wear to work the next day instead to alleviate the fire drill the morning usually turns out to be! These are a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah that's the other thing - taking care of the kids is only half the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura Sharp FisherSeptember 23, 2013 11:52 am

    Love it!! I only do packed lunches once a week and I STILL find it the most tedious task!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Silvia - Sewing PrincessSeptember 23, 2013 12:56 pm

    They are so cute and practical. I don´t need to make my own lunch but you make me want to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, it gets boring very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the wrap dance!! And I'm still an evil plastic mum as I make a fortnight's worth & freeze them - but still forget to pull them out to thaw at 2300... I really should lift my game ... - and yours are very cute; thanks for the long ties tip ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ;) fortunately they don't seam to mind boring ham/chicken & cheese with sauce/mayo! Avoiding anything with a high water content (tomatoes etc) helps prevent soggies ;)

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be anonymous or unpleasant!