Tuesday 23 October 2012

Scout woven tee


 

Against all expectations, this one's been getting a lot of wear.

Not that I don't like the pattern. On the contrary, I love it. It's grainline's Scout woven tee, which I bought at the beginning of the summer with much enthusiasm for it as a warm-weather wardrobe staple. It makes a really, really good t-shirt: flattering, easy to wear and treading the line between relaxed and stylish perfectly. The shape of it is great. Unfortunately, I didn't get round to discovering this in practice until the middle of August, by when the season was already on the turn.

Unfortunately too, my attempt at a wearable muslim was unwearable (because why did I steam ahead with a narrow back adjustment when the back is supposed to hang anyway?? With the shoulder seams slightly forward, it made the whole thing sit funny, which I should have guessed) and I nearly threw in the towel at that point. But it's a quick and satisfying sew, and as I was heading back to put it in the recycling pile, my attention was grabbed unceremoniously by this African print.

Against my better judgement - because I almost never wear prints on  my top half, and my previous opinion of this fabric had been tablecloth material at best - I sewed another one immediately. A couple of times recently I've gone with a completely unexepcted hunch, and it worked, so I'm beginning to just believe in the sewing fairies and follow.  Lo and behold, I wasn't sure what I thought of my finished t-shirt to begin with but, with one wearing, realised I like it very much. It grows on me every time I put it on.

There will be more of these t-shirts to come. Next spring, when I really will be much better organised with my seasonal wardrobe sewing. Really.

:: :: ::

The notes:
  • Scout woven tee by grainline studio.
  • Adjustments: no-dart full bust adjustment and correction for gaping armhole.
  • Changes: I made the back about an inch longer than the front, with a small split/vent at the the bottom of the side seams.
  • Overall verdict: great pattern! Very easy to sew with lovely detailing.
  • Fabric from my late mother in law's stash, brought back from a trip to the Congo (knowing this provenance makes wearing it all the better).

2 comments:

  1. I've often wondered about the scout tee. You may have convinced me to get it. Love the fabric. I especially love when there is a story that goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, your choice of fabric & what you have paired the top with looks really great. Nice look.

    ReplyDelete

Please don't be anonymous or unpleasant!